Tuesday, February 10, 2009

O-hi-o

Well I still don't have pictures but will post anyhow before this recent history passes. Would you believe that I really don't have many pictures because the camera batteries died!? I have the worst luck with camera batteries!! And my sister has the few pictures we took on her camera, in Ohio. :) Anytime Aud Pod.

On Thursday I flew out to Ohio. I was supposed to leave at 1:30 but a delayed flight out of Detroit coming to Omaha and then taking us back to Detroit caused me to miss my connection. So I got into Columbus at 10ish instead of 6ish. Thankfully all my flights were relatively smooth and I didn't feel sick, just slightly uncomfortable. Who do they make the seats for on the airplane anyhow! The head/neck rest is always in the the most uncomfortable place possible. I am not 6ft tall or have giraffe neck.

Friday we had class at 8am. I am still not a morning person and we were late. New Testament was interesting... The question discussed was - Did Jesus know He was God as a child or was there an age of understanding? I say He was 100% God and man so what's the question. The professor was a very authoritative teacher but seemed to make the students more comfortable so there were lots of questions and discussion. Next up - Business Law. By this time I was totally wiped out and almost fell asleep, but the teacher told lots of funny 'I'm old' stories. Then we went to Chapel. It was a student lead chapel so there was a skit that I totally didn't get at the beginning because I'm not a student there. And there was only a little singing and a short message. Overall it was fine and I'm sure great for the students which is good. They should minister to students and not the occasional visitor. :)
Lunch at Chuck's, the C. cafeteria was pretty good. (Just in case I'm just referring to the college as C for privacy reasons - this is the Internet after all.) They have a lot of options - hot lunch that is different every day and looks like not so good cafeteria food that we all envision, breakfast bar, salad bar, veggie bar and mexi bar. We had wraps that we grilled in the Panini maker.
After lunch I skipped Accounting and went back to Aud's room to sleep a little and have some computer time. During my nap I kept hearing weird noises. I knew her roommate had some kind of pet in the aquarium on her desk so when Aud called to tell me to get up and let her into the dorm, I told her that there was a frog in her room and he was gargling while I was trying to sleep! She really thought there was a frog in her room! Her roommate has a soft heart for animals and Aud thought maybe she rescued a frog. When we got back to the room she realized I was talking about their turtle. We found this really funny and make frog jokes all weekend when ever we went to bed or heard the turtle making noise. :)
That evening we went to 'The Greene' for supper and a movie. On the way we had a minor car scare with some weird noises and the gages looking different. Thankfully via phone Dad said we would probably be fine. We also got manicures before supper. Now I usually know ahead of time what color I'm looking for but this time I hadn't thought of it. So it took forever to decide and I ended up switching at the last minute to 'On the Peach' that Aud was using. Sadly my manicure only lasted a day or two - what a rip off. I'm sticking with pedicures!
After the manicures we had supper at Mimi's Cafe which wasn't very exciting. I missed Lazlo's at this moment. As soon as we finished eating we ran through this outdoor mall to the movie theater and about froze. It was really cold out and running makes it worse! And then the movie was outrageously priced. Here in Lincoln we pay 8.50 per adult ticket and I've always thought that was a bit much. In Dayton I paid 10.50 for an adult ticket - insane!! Anyhow, we saw Bride Wars and I liked it. It was cute and not as dumb as anticipated and I always love Anne Hathaway's hair. After the movie we went to Caribu Coffee and talked until way too late. But not too late to pick up some cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory. I finally got to try the 30th Anniversary one - delicious! We made our cheesecake last all weekend.

On Saturday we overslept and woke up at 10 instead of 8. Good thing we weren't on a strict schedule. We had planned to get up 'reasonably early' to get started on the day. We even laughed about how this idea is Dad's fault because on family vacations we would get up at the crack of dawn because we couldn't waste any of the day. :) After getting ready I found out Justin was worried because I forgot to call him the night before and hadn't answered my phone all morning. He called everyone we know - how sweet. I never thought he was much of a worrier so it was nice to know he loves me enough to worry sometimes. :) We quickly ate at Chuck's and at about noon took off to Cincinnati to see the Creation Museum. Aud's a good driver and we made it safely with none of the navigation issues that I usually cause. At the ticket counter I met a girl named April - she went to JHBC too! Small world. The museum was awesome! The planetarium was a little motion sickness inducing but beautiful. Our world is so small and so perfect for human life - God's design and provision is awe-inspiring! The museum features over 160 exhibits including a Walk Through Biblical History, Dinosaur Den, Petting Zoo, and expansive Botanical Gardens.The themes of the exhibits resound in the theater presentations. The Stargazers Planetarium offers a spectacular spaceflight through the universe. - I couldn't have said it better myself. :) The whole thing was done so well. During my college year, I've been to some 'creation museums' that were embarrassing. This was so good and intelligently put together and has the clear message of the Bible throughout, not just creation. It is also a great place to learn if you have little to no creation exposure. I loved how salvation was so clearly tied to creation throughout the exhibits. The experience ends with a short movie about Christ's sacrifice for us called "The Last Adam" - very moving.
After the museum we went to a mall in Cinci. We were hungry and smelling soft pretzels as soon as we got there. So we had pretzel sticks with cheese - who knew they came in sticks! We mostly window shopped but I got 2 shirts at The Limited. We lost track of time and didn't eat supper until 8pm! Then we drove the hour plus back to dorms, had some cheesecake and called it a night.

Sunday we went to church at 10:45 and were late. I know, late for 10:45 church - how sad. Seriously, how can 2 Huebert girls make us more late than just one? This is a phenomena that has not yet been explained. :) I was bummed to miss some of the music but the singers were very talented. The alto singer did a solo of Jesus, I am Resting, Resting. It was so beautiful! The preacher was good but not Tom. At church I also got to meet Mike, Alex's old roommate and his wife, Audrey Ann. We had lunch at Chuck's and met some more of Aud's friends. After lunch we attempted to go back to the dorm and had to take off our church shoes and wade through a few inches of water. It was so warm and everything was melting and pooling on the sidewalks!
We relaxed for the afternoon and laughed about the "frog". I flew out of Columbus at 5. I watched the first half of the Superbowl in Detroit airport. We must have had a new plane to Omaha - very nice and clean. And I was social and talked to my seat mate. We made fun of our flight attendants - they had to be only a day over 18 and fresh out of school or whatever you take to be a flight attendant. Both the girl and the boy were as happy as could be. She giggled over everything. :) I was happy to finally be home by 10:30.

I had a great time and am so happy to have spent time with my sister and see her home away from home. It's true that absence makes the heart grow fonder. I enjoyed the independence of being on this trip by myself but I also missed Justin being with me. And in record time, my suitcase I all unpacked and put away after only a few days!

3 comments:

  1. AGREED about those airplane headrests. They just push on my neck in the wrong place. Try doing that for 6 hours!

    Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great trip!....you got to work on that "being late" laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. are you going to do an "I wish Wednesday" today?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!! I love hearing from you!