Thursday, April 2, 2009

Words + Addendum

So yesterday I said April Fool’s Day was “retarded”. But I have had some complaints that this is not an accurate word to use. That’s probably true. Here is a list of words that my husband and the dictionary suggest…
dumb
stupid
asinine
silly
foolish
unintelligent
idiotic
dim

1. Which word would you use to describe this or something similar you don’t like?

2. How do you feel about the use of the word retarded?
There was recently a big ta-do about our president making a Special Olympics joke. Just recently I have started using retarded as a descriptive word for something I think is dumb or don’t like. Somehow I think it’s a better word than dumb or stupid. But really it’s just as juvenile. I can’t help but think that if I could read better I would be more likely to learn new words that I could use instead. When I read an unfamiliar word I usually guess the meaning from the context and I most likely have no idea how to pronounce the word. I did not get hooked on phonics. (Pa-hon-ix : makes me laugh every time to say it that way! :)) So because I can’t actually say the word I don’t bother to learn the real meaning. Sad, huh. I am so glad that Christian romantic fiction books don’t require me to learn many new words! I’m a fan of easy reading.

ADDENDUM:
I'm sorry that I have neglected to consider that people that don't know me personally might be reading my blog. Thanks to my handy dandy stat counter, I know that most of you know me or my family pretty well. And because I write like I talk, I hope most of you can see my facial expressions when you read. I am not a very good writer so often times knowing me and understanding what I attempting to say is very important.
So to clarify - I was not intending to use the word retarded as defined by Webster (which say it means mental challenged). I have been using the word with the definition most of us picked up in Jr. High to say I think something is not to my liking. The reason I choose to blog about it is because I have recently realized that I use a lot of words incorrectly. This seems like an easy one to remedy so I'm just asking for suggestions or comments on words you use to express your dislike so that I can modify my expression.
I will try to consider other readers more in the future. And I will continue to strive to improve my communication skills to be better understood. Thanks.

7 comments:

  1. I am always charged with negative emotions when someone uses the word "retarded" out of context - and it happens OFTEN. I rarely comment. Do you know anyone with a disability, disease or condition that they cannot help that they have? Would it be appropriate to use that condition as a discriptive word?? Rather hurtful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm aware.
    in my previous post, which word would YOU use? when something really annoys you what word do you use to express yourself? i'm looking for a new word to use! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hummmm, it seems that our society has removed the word 'retarded' from our vocabulary. More often we hear, 'challenged' attached to some disability or condition. So, is retarded the best description of how people act on certain days? It's your blog, you can use whatever word you like. I am not offended by the use of the word. Now, what word might I use? possibly: ridiculous, disrespectful, ignorant, maybe even 'retarded' (with no personal intent of offense to anyone). Just a word about your discerning spirit: yes, a day to lie (aka SIN), is really a sad thing to see celebrated and encouraged:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess for me there is really two issues. First, is using the word "retarded", as its defined, wrong in a politically correct world. I don't really care either way on this one, and thats not really the question thats being asked.

    Second, is using the word "retarded" as a replacement for the word "dumb" or "annoying" the right thing to do, especially in a public forum. Here I think the answer is more obvious. While its clear to most people that this usage is typically without malice, some people do take offense, so why not use another word? Beyond that, "retarded" typically only carries that meaning within the walls of a high school or college dorm. Your audience has to make assumptions about what you are saying when you use the word in that way. The English language has a multitude of words available to describe any feeling you might be having; there's no need to turn people off by attributing a definition to a word already bound to offend.

    I've always liked the word "asinine". Also, I think a little AFD fun is harmless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny. Interesting how this post has the most discussion I have seen in a while.

    I, too, like the word asinine. It is fun to say. I totally know what you meant by the word "retarded" though and didn't think a thing about it. No offense here, and I have a cousin who is mentally challenged. Maybe webster should update to include an alternate definition.

    It is true to think about what we type, and the words we use, so that those who read and do not necessarily know us, don't get the wrong idea. I am usually one who thinks after speaking and definitely get myself in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, if you want to be politically correct, you should just say that you think "it's inappropriate." however that just doesn't seem to express a "strong enough" opinion.
    what is a "practical" joke anyway? (focus on practical)
    (thought i'd keep the discussion going:), i'm probably too late.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah funny that this causes discussion (insert eye rolling and a smile). i could care less about being politically correct because i think it's censorship and propaganda, but i do care about speaking truthful and edifying words. i don't think there's anything wrong with using the 7th grade definition (aka something's dumb) if i want to sound like i'm 12. but i would never use that word in a way that mocks someone who is born disabled. did you realize that the dictionary definition of someone who is retarded is being slow or under developed mentally. today we call it mentally challenged. honestly, if we keep changing the words we use all the time, we're going to run out of them! why do we have to change words all the time??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!! I love hearing from you!