Friday, April 3, 2009

The Glory of Creation

I love sunsets and sunrises! When I lived in the mountains I was saddened by the way that the mountains interrupted my view of the sunset. They were still often beautiful but they just couldn't compare to the beauty we behold in Nebraska.Atheists Miss the Joy
April 3, 2009 | By: John Piper

If
you look at sunsets and sunrises without knowing that God is painting them then and there, you will miss the point. Sunsets and sunrises do not just happen. God does them. You make the going out of the morning and the evening to shout for joy. (Psalms 65:8) What are they so happy about? Psalm 19 gives the answer. They are happy because they are showing the glory of God. “The heavens declare the glory of God” (v. 1). How happy is the rising sun to display the glory of God? Answer: “In them [the heavens] God has set a tent for the sun, which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber, and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy” (Psalm 19:4-5). A bridegroom beaming, and an Eric Liddell feeling God’s pleasure when he runs. Sunrises and sunsets are like that. They bid us join their joy in putting God on display in the world.
My favorite sunset memory is from high school. Sorry, sunrises and I aren't on the same schedule. One evening I was up on the shop roof at our new place. The corn wasn't up so I could still see for miles and miles. As the sun set, the horizon slowly turned to golden fire (like the picture above). It was so amazing! After a few moments I raced down the ladder and got on my bicycle. I frantically peddled the 1/2 mile home, hoping that I might catch the last of the sunset on my camera before it was too dark. Sadly I didn't make it but I still remember this as being the most amazing sunset ever! 3/4s of the horizon was afire with a deep reddish orange flame.
BEHOLD THE GLORY OF THE LORD. His creation proclaims His name! I can't see a sunset without seeing His hand.

1 comment:

  1. i love the heavens....sunrises OR sunsets....the moon, stars....i always am reminded of Psalm 19 when i see them. i however, love the dark outline of the mountains with a brillant sunset behind them.....and clouds, clouds help make it more brillant!....the pink alpine glow on the clouds, the sunrays through the clouds...the sun/son definitely declares the glory of God :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!! I love hearing from you!