Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Shellac removal


I wish someone had told me that removing my shellac manicure was going to be a challenge...
I went to the salon and enjoyed my hour of pampering. The gal told me it would last longer but didn't say how long. A friend told me 2 week. Wow! I was so excited it would last so long. I never get manicures because the polish chips off in 2 days. After about a week, I began to wonder how it was going to come off at all. This same friend said she goes to the salon to have hers soaked off. So I got online to find out what exactly I had had put on my nails.
The best step by step I read was from The Pioneer Woman. She soaked her nails in actone and had pictures showing the process. Then I read the comments which were filled with people saying actone was poison and would ruin my nails and shellac would also make my nails a mess for weeks. Uh oh. My nails are already brittle and weird, I do not need more problems! And soaking my nails in poison, especially when I'm pregnant doesn't seem smart.
So I trimmed my nails and decided I would just be growing them out. Thankfully prenatal vitamins make them grow like crazy so it shouldn't be too bad. But then the bottom started peeling and catching on everything. So I decided to do some light soaking in just regular nail polish remover. Here's what I did...
1. I used regular nail polish to soak my nails for 8-10 mins. I tried to keep out as much of my fingers as possible to avoid my skin getting too dry.
2. Then I used that metal scrappie thing to scrap the shellac off my nails. They still looked awful and had chunks of polish on them when I was done.
3. So I pulled out this nail kit I got in PA from a very convincing nail lady at the mall. First time I've ever been thankful for this! I used the handy file/buffer to buff off the remaining polish.
4. Then I used some cuticle oil and hand lotion to save my skin. I've done this step a couple more times over the following week.
I suppose they look like their normal selves now. As dry and peeling as ever. I hate my nails. I think I might get a shellac manicure again. But I won't get it while I'm pregnant and only for a special occasion. And I seriously think you should get a disclaimer or at least an informational brochure when you leave the salon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I love hearing from you!