I Wish that it snowed in Nebraska the way it snows in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. It's so beautiful! We always had a few feet of snow but somehow it never affected the roads. Apparently road crews are smarter in the mountains.
I Wish there were more days in December.
I Wish I were more dedicated to remember Christ in this Advent season as I anticipate Christmas. This year our church is not doing the lighting of the Advent candles. I actually miss it. I know that the ceremony of Advent is from pagan rituals (or is that only Lent?) but I have always appreciated the goal of Advent. I need to be reminded that Christmas is to celebrate Christ's birth and not a time for presents, family and drowning in busyness!
I Wish "Merry Christmas" wasn't taboo at work. I have never worked at a place where they specifically told me that I can't say Merry Christmas to people because they might sue the company. What is the world coming to when we can't say Merry Christmas because it speaks of Christ but yet I'm being dumb if I'm not a fan of Santa Clause or Halloween!? Yes, I'll say it - I believe telling your kids Santa Clause is real is lying to them. I never believed in Santa or celebrated Halloween and I don't think I missed out. Anyhow, that's a topic for another day! :)
Addendum: To clarify, I think telling children Santa is REAL is wrong, not that Santa is evil. If he is a tradition in your family enjoy, but be truthful so we can learn how to be thankful to those who gave the gifts. If we, as Christians don't encourage our children to learn to thank people in their lives for gifts, how will they learn to thank God for His many gifts and the greatest gift that we celebrate at Christmas?
OK from the mom's perspective....I did believe in santa in my younger years, and when I found out that he was pretend, I felt so betrayed by my parents. So, when I had children, your dad (who never did beleive in santa) and I decided we would take the credit for the gifts that were given, and leave the funny guy in red out of the mix. So you've been warped...
ReplyDeleteAgreed on the snow. I wish it was like the snow in NY. And the road crews are horrible here. Why in the world do you wait until the snow STOPS to plow the roads? When the snow starts, so should the plows. And, I haven't seen many plow trucks with their plows down and doing the work. Instead they are dropping down dirt and sand.
ReplyDeleteDon't know about the santa thing. We did the Santa thing in my family, but it wasn't a huge deal. "He" only brought us socks and candy and stuff that fit in our stockings. Actually, presents weren't a big highlight of Christmas - we got maybe 2 or 3. Once we found out about Santa, we still got presents in our stocking from "Santa" but we thanked our parents for them.
PS - I lost my sugar cookie recipe so I will search frantically tonight to find it!