Thursday, July 28, 2011

Home on the Plains

I was reminded this week of how much I love my home state and in particular the area around my hometown. As we sped down the interstate, I could see the horizon stretching for miles. The corn had all grown tall and I could see the patchwork of green fields all around. And this time of year many of the farmers are getting their field's sprayed for bugs so there we're crop dusters diving all over the place. I grew up only a few miles from a local airstrip and remember the planes flying over our house often. We loved watching them and waving! I always hoped they would see me and my siblings waving. :) And usually if they did, we got a little wave from the wings. Now that was a special day! Back to our recent drive... Millie was asleep in the backseat and I was a little sad that she missed seeing all the planes. There were crop dusters diving on both sides of the road. I could see the flashes of white and yellow flying through the air from miles away. As we drove closer I could see that one of the yellow planes was spraying right next to the interstate and he had to go right over the road when he turned around. I sure hoped that he would buzz us when we got close. It was our lucky day! We happened to just be passing by as he finished a pass and came whizzing right over the car!! Now I remember being told that we should never hope that the planes would go right over us because they could get chemicals on you. But I'm thinking that times have changed and hopefully they're better at turning off the spray when they're not over the corn.
I love watching the seasons change and the landscape grow in Nebraska. I love watching the corn pop up the turn the plains green in the spring. (Sorry allergy sufferers.) In the fall, I love seeing the haze from corn dust as I watch the big orange harvest moon come up. There's just something about this land that warms my heart.
Where is your favorite place?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I love hearing from you!