So in light of recent days, I have some things to say. Of course you all know I have opinions about everything but politics is something I try not to get too worked up about. But I have a few issues this year and a few positives to share in the aftermath.
Why is there hate in politics??? The campaigns were especially brutal this year. Or maybe it just felt that way because I paid attention. Journalists (and I use that loosely because I think they're so biased that there should be another term for them) from the New York Times and other big newspapers and TV stations really seemed to hate Sarah Palin. Examples of bias and hate if your interested to read:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/13/opinion/13sat1.html?em
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us/politics/14palin.html?em
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/opinion/14rich.html?em
And there are many Slate articles and others that will write a decent article but it's peppered with "she scares me to death" and "he's so old and creepy" in parenthesis. And celebs were saying that they don't want to be Americans anymore if Palin is in the White House. I would have loved to see them move out. :) I have no problem with people feeling strongly about the issues but when it comes down to hating a specific person, I think that's too far!
The other side of the aisle was just as bad. I'm sure you heard the claims or read the emails and articles making personal attacks on Obama. And even though you never officially heard it, I think the race card was being thrown around too. Racism should never be encouraged for gain. examples: the horrible rumors and racism spread by the Republican party.
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/7688
http://www.2sistersfromtheright.com/writings/Rich_Carroll/jihadcandidate.html
And Fox News (which I happen to enjoy watching most of the time) has a few shows where the hosts were outright rude! If you watch Fox you know I'm talking about Hannity. He's the type of conservative that makes us all look stupid sometimes. I have to say I prefer O'Reilly over him and I've had my issues with Bill's style too.
Now I'm not saying I'm the authority or have done all the research to prove all of these claims right or wrong, I'm just saying they sound far fetched. If I'm going to give Sarah Palin the benefit of the the doubt that claims about her are made up, I owe Obama the same.
This has also brought up some thought provoking issues for me...
Some final thoughts from John Piper. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGjGbZNyIBY . Response to this Piper interview...http://theologica.blogspot.com/2008/11/piper-politics-and-abortion-few.html . More from Piper...Why a Woman Shouldn't Run for Vice President, but Wise People May Still Vote for Her More from Piper, clarifying his Sarah Palin comments http://www.desiringgod.org/Blog/1474_why_a_woman_shouldnt_run_for_vice_president_but_wise_people_may_still_vote_for_her/ . Women's role in politics is an issue that I will be thinking about. I've never thought about it that in depth before because it hasn't been an issue.
One thing I have enjoyed about the campaign coverage is Saturday Night LIVE! Hilarious! Sure, I noticed it was slightly biased towards Obama but not outright. And they made fun of both sides. It was just easier to make fun of the Republicans cause they said some silly things under pressure. Example: The Rap on Palin . I laughed so hard!
Why is there hate in politics??? The campaigns were especially brutal this year. Or maybe it just felt that way because I paid attention. Journalists (and I use that loosely because I think they're so biased that there should be another term for them) from the New York Times and other big newspapers and TV stations really seemed to hate Sarah Palin. Examples of bias and hate if your interested to read:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/
And there are many Slate articles and others that will write a decent article but it's peppered with "she scares me to death" and "he's so old and creepy" in parenthesis. And celebs were saying that they don't want to be Americans anymore if Palin is in the White House. I would have loved to see them move out. :) I have no problem with people feeling strongly about the issues but when it comes down to hating a specific person, I think that's too far!
The other side of the aisle was just as bad. I'm sure you heard the claims or read the emails and articles making personal attacks on Obama. And even though you never officially heard it, I think the race card was being thrown around too. Racism should never be encouraged for gain. examples: the horrible rumors and racism spread by the Republican party.
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/7688
http://www.2sistersfromtheright.com/writings/Rich_Carroll/jihadcandidate.html
And Fox News (which I happen to enjoy watching most of the time) has a few shows where the hosts were outright rude! If you watch Fox you know I'm talking about Hannity. He's the type of conservative that makes us all look stupid sometimes. I have to say I prefer O'Reilly over him and I've had my issues with Bill's style too.
Now I'm not saying I'm the authority or have done all the research to prove all of these claims right or wrong, I'm just saying they sound far fetched. If I'm going to give Sarah Palin the benefit of the the doubt that claims about her are made up, I owe Obama the same.
This has also brought up some thought provoking issues for me...
Some final thoughts from John Piper. http://www.youtube.com/watch?
One thing I have enjoyed about the campaign coverage is Saturday Night LIVE! Hilarious! Sure, I noticed it was slightly biased towards Obama but not outright. And they made fun of both sides. It was just easier to make fun of the Republicans cause they said some silly things under pressure. Example: The Rap on Palin . I laughed so hard!
Now the elections is over and I feel reflective, apprehensive and curious about our new president. These verses are my rock in the midst of my worry:
Excerpt from a blog I'll link further down but verses I am thinking on... And surely politics is included in "all things." God removes kings; God sets up kings (Dan. 2:21). God does all that he pleases (Ps. 115:3), and he "works all things according to the counsel of his will" (Eph. 1:11). Even though a king (or a president) appears to be the most powerful person in the land, "The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will" (Prov. 21:1). Amen and amen.
2Chron 20:6 says "O LORD God of our fathers, are You not God in heaven, and do You not rule over all the kingdoms of the nations, and in Your hand is there not power and might, so that no one is able to withstand You?
Psalm 47 says
Oh, clap your hands, all you peoples! Shout to God with the voice of triumph!
2 For the LORD Most High is awesome; He is a great King over all the earth.
3 He will subdue the peoples under us, And the nations under our feet.
4 He will choose our inheritance for us, The excellence of Jacob whom He loves. Selah
5 God has gone up with a shout, The LORD with the sound of a trumpet.
6 Sing praises to God, sing praises! Sing praises to our King, sing praises!
7 For God is the King of all the earth; Sing praises with understanding.
8 God reigns over the nations; God sits on His holy throne.
9 The princes of the people have gathered together, The people of the God of Abraham. For the shields of the earth belong to God; He is greatly exalted.
Daniel 2 says "Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. 21 He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. 22 He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him. 23 I thank and praise you, O God of my fathers: You have given me wisdom and power, you have made known to me what we asked of you, you have made known to us the dream of the king."
2Chron 20:6 says "O LORD God of our fathers, are You not God in heaven, and do You not rule over all the kingdoms of the nations, and in Your hand is there not power and might, so that no one is able to withstand You?
Psalm 47 says
Oh, clap your hands, all you peoples! Shout to God with the voice of triumph!
2 For the LORD Most High is awesome; He is a great King over all the earth.
3 He will subdue the peoples under us, And the nations under our feet.
4 He will choose our inheritance for us, The excellence of Jacob whom He loves. Selah
5 God has gone up with a shout, The LORD with the sound of a trumpet.
6 Sing praises to God, sing praises! Sing praises to our King, sing praises!
7 For God is the King of all the earth; Sing praises with understanding.
8 God reigns over the nations; God sits on His holy throne.
9 The princes of the people have gathered together, The people of the God of Abraham. For the shields of the earth belong to God; He is greatly exalted.
Daniel 2 says "Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. 21 He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. 22 He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him. 23 I thank and praise you, O God of my fathers: You have given me wisdom and power, you have made known to me what we asked of you, you have made known to us the dream of the king."
I am resting in the power of God's sovereignty. I know He is on His throne and so I don't have to worry. This is His plan for His purposes even though I may not understand! I've read a few articles that have really impressed me. The tone of thoughtfulness and graciousness towards our new president that they didn't vote for is amazing to me. I'm sure there are people spewing hate out there but I haven't been reading that yet. Check out these articles...
this whole website is amazing and all the posts have been very gracious and thought provoking http://theologica.blogspot.com/ . This wraps up my thoughts from reading at this blog spot = pray, there is no time to lose! I also enjoyed
this whole website is amazing and all the posts have been very gracious and thought provoking http://theologica.blogspot.com/ . This wraps up my thoughts from reading at this blog spot = pray, there is no time to lose! I also enjoyed
My worries about the next 4 years (maybe 8) are calling me to prayer. And I hope your concerns (or joys) take you to the throne of grace as well.
P.S. vote independent! :)
Interesting thoughts Laura.
ReplyDeleteI thought that we had worse "hate ads" 2 years ago for the senate race than this year. I don't like them either, but I don't think they are going away anytime soon. The campaigns will always find ways to discredit the other side.
Did you listen to McCain's concession speech. It was so good. It is sad that we lost, but we can't dwell on it and be angry. Let's move on and pray for our country each day.
I haven't had a problem with a woman running for President or VP. And, women have been in politics for quite a while now. The 1st woman in the house was in 1916; senate in 1922; cabinet (advising the PRESIDENT) in 1933. And, remember Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister of England in 1979 and is remembered well for it. Plus, how many female governors are there? Ya know, I'm not sure a born-again believing woman with a family would run for President. But I have never seen anything wrong with a woman working outside the home either. We'll have to talk or email more about this. I am not sure how long they let comments be on this thing.
So, the elections turned out how I expected but not how I hoped. Romans 13:1-7 sums up how I feel now. There will be a new President whom I will be subject to. God is still on His throne. So why worry?
PS - I have not read ALL the articles you posted yet, but I did read the John Piper one (not the video). I agree that the issue of abortion tops whether a woman is in office anyday.