Maybe I watch too much TV. Or maybe I read too much entertainment news online. I completely get drawn into shows about real families or couples or couples falling in love. I think that's girl thing. I didn't watch much of the Newlyweds but was still sad when Nick and Jessica broke up. This was particularly disappointing to me because they claimed to be Christians who believed in the sanctity of marriage. And they believed that marriage was a lifelong commitment. Sadly they did not uphold this pledge. I don't think you can say reality TV broke their marriage but I sure don't think it helped. Marriage has enough challenges without adding the pressure to perform for TV viewers.
Today's latest Christian couple to face marriage failure is John and Kate. This case makes me even more sad because of the kids that are involved. How sad that they believe that divorce is better for them. This also makes me mad because this family in particular spoke often about going to church and how their faith was not highlighted in their show. Every time the rumors come out about a new 'good' couple splitting up, I don't want to believe it's true. But after a few months of rumors, it usually happens. Now I wasn't really surprised that Jon & Kate were having trouble. Anyone could see that on the show. Kate was overbearing and even rude to her husband. And Jon was usually just not engaged in his life as a husband and father. But I am even more shocked at their behavior now! They've barely filed their divorce papers - they're not even divorced yet - and they're hanging out all over the world with their new partners for the whole world to see! Kate's short comings were rather obvious on the show but Jon's issues are coming to light now. He clearly does not want to grow up or be a father all the time. And I wonder if his 22-year-old partying girlfriend is the best influence for his 8 young kids. It's so sad to see not just the failure but total demolition of another Christian family on the TV. No wonder the world says marriage is silly and outdated and unnecessary if this is the example that they see.
On to other TV notes, the Bachelorette was on again this week. I must say there is way less drama and way less to talk about now that Wes is gone. This was the week that the fast forward button was real handy! Why does the world believe it's necessary to sleep with your significant other to know if their marriage material?!? Jillian slept with 2 possibly 3 guys in a week's time and claims to be falling in love with them all. Eww and totally messed up. What I did like this week was seeing the sights in Hawaii. What a beautiful place! I'm going to miss Reid and his awkward silliness. But I'm looking forward to the Guys Tell All show next week. I imagine more Wes related drama is in store. I've decided that my favorite part of this show is the middle weeks - when there are less guys but the physical ickyness hasn't started yet.
On another completely different TV note... We've been watching the Tour de France (say it Fronce cause it's better!). I really love that I've come to enjoy this sport so Justin and I can watch it together. I won't share many details in case you're like us and record it and might be behind a few days. But this year is drama filled! Lance Armstrong is back and making waves. Justin can't stand him and hopes he doesn't win. I can't help but secretly cheer for him sometimes. :) The next couple weeks of the tour are going to be awesome! I recommend watching - it's on Versus. Limited coverage in the mornings and recaps in the evening.
What do you watch on TV? What do you watch with/for your spouse? How do you feel about the example of Christian marriages we see on TV?
Have you seen Fireproof? Now that's a movie that portrays Christian marriage realistically and honorably! I cried at every other scene. Think that has to do with hormones? :) Not the best made movie but definitely the best message I've got from a movie in a long time.
We don't watch any tv because we don't have any channels. I miss it sometimes and other times I forget that we don't have it.
ReplyDelete