Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Romantic Fluff

I have no problem owning up to the fact that I like reading fluffy romantic christian fiction books. I have less time to read them now than I did before Millie and J entered my life. I also find I enjoy them less. But I think that's because I enjoy real life. 

Often times romance books are just an escape. They're a way to enjoy someone else's experience of falling in love with the perfect guys. I especially enjoyed these books in high school as I dreamed of my own Prince Charming showing up one day in the not so distant future. I would way to often stay up until 2am reading. Once I started a good romance book, I had to finish it and usually on the same day! My mom and my friends, who also love these books would remind me that they're fiction and not real life. The man you marry will not be as handsome or as romantic as you imagine the hero of these books. Yes I know. And yes I do know in my mind that rationally this was true. But once I found my Knight in Shining Armor, I realized some of these ideas had found a place in my heart. As soon as I find myself reaching for a romance book because I want to escape the lack of romance in my own life, I put down the book or return it to the library. That's not how I want to use a good book. I want to enjoy the reality that God has blessed me with.


I've recently enjoyed reading Karen Kingsbury. Her books are a very easy read. I can usually guess the ending so I don't feel the pressure to stay up late to finish. (or read the ending.) Yes I do that. If I can't stay up late or stand the suspense, I read the ending. I still read the book! That just allows me to read it at a more sane pace. :) So recently I've been disappointed when I get into these books. I just read Even Now and Ever After. Both beautiful, romantic, predictable stories. But what sorely disappoints me is the way romance gets physical in these books. In Ever After Emily meets Justin and it's basically love at first sight. And then she lets him kiss her on the first date! And then it's kissing and tenderly holding each other at every other page from there on. Now I realize that in a world where romance rules and sexual temptation doesn't exist, this is every woman's dream. But that's not this world. I'm thinking of the middle school and high school girls that read these books along with the romantically starved housewife. Is this really the picture of romance they need to aspire to?! NO. I am so disappointed. I think Karen Kingsbury might be off my list of authors to hunt for new releases at the library. Knowing the reality that is this world and how that level of physical closeness actually leads to temptations, I can't read those books and enjoy it. I just can't. I don't want my daughter to think it's ok to kiss on the first date and have that much physical closeness in a dating relationship.
Do you read Karen Kingsbury? Do you love romance books? 

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever read anything by Lori Wick? I like her stories. Of course the males are all perfect, but the romance is a little more realistic and she emphasizes on the Bible a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love Karen Kingsbury! I've read ALL her books!!! :)

    SS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!! I love hearing from you!