There are now 2 daddy's in my life - my Dad and my Husband, the father of our baby girl - that I love dearly. This spring the local radio station hosted a Father of the Year contest. I sent in a submission for my Dad...
I think of my Dad as Father of the Year every year!
When I was a child, he taught me life lessons. Whenever he was working outside, he always made me feel welcome. I knew he would encourage my help and teach me something new. I never felt in the way or shut out of his work space. I could watch him work on his motorcycles or latest carpentry project for hours, and he’d usually open a Dr. Pepper or homemade Root Beer for us to share. He always disciplined with a firm but loving hand. I constantly look back at his example as I parent my own daughter.
As I grew into a young women, he made me feel special. He made me feel beautiful. My Dad took time out of his busy schedule to take me on dates. We would go to Chances R and order mushrooms and dessert. It was our special thing! He often would compliment me before school or church, reminding me that I was beautiful in his eyes. During this time in my life, I quickly realized that his love towards me brought me confidence and security. This was the type of man I wanted to marry someday. When I didn’t get into the college I applied to, he sent me flowers though I was 13 hours away. I still look back fondly on those flowers. They meant a lot be me because, he understood how disappointed I was without me saying a word.
As an adult, my Dad encouraged me to independence and responsibility. He would spend time on the phone or late into the evening talking by the fire about my struggles. He always points me back the God’s Word as the place of truth and comfort. His most consistent word of advice for me was about Job. As a girl, I struggled with emotional moments of crisis and he would always turn me to the book of Job and remind me to look at what was true above what I felt. Just because Job didn’t feel like God was there, doesn’t mean He wasn’t. My Dad still greets me with a hug and a kiss every time I see him, though sometimes my baby girl gets the first one. And he still has a listening ear for me when I need advice.
The one thing that has meant the most to me is that he tells me how proud he is of me. He praises my godly choices and desire to continue on that path. It means everything to me, that my Dad is still pleased with me as I make decisions with my husband and regarding my family that I don’t discuss with him. I miss that season of closeness but I treasure our adult friendship and will never take for granted our close father-daughter relationship. Every girl needs a father like mine to point her to our Heavenly Father.
When I was a child, he taught me life lessons. Whenever he was working outside, he always made me feel welcome. I knew he would encourage my help and teach me something new. I never felt in the way or shut out of his work space. I could watch him work on his motorcycles or latest carpentry project for hours, and he’d usually open a Dr. Pepper or homemade Root Beer for us to share. He always disciplined with a firm but loving hand. I constantly look back at his example as I parent my own daughter.
As I grew into a young women, he made me feel special. He made me feel beautiful. My Dad took time out of his busy schedule to take me on dates. We would go to Chances R and order mushrooms and dessert. It was our special thing! He often would compliment me before school or church, reminding me that I was beautiful in his eyes. During this time in my life, I quickly realized that his love towards me brought me confidence and security. This was the type of man I wanted to marry someday. When I didn’t get into the college I applied to, he sent me flowers though I was 13 hours away. I still look back fondly on those flowers. They meant a lot be me because, he understood how disappointed I was without me saying a word.
As an adult, my Dad encouraged me to independence and responsibility. He would spend time on the phone or late into the evening talking by the fire about my struggles. He always points me back the God’s Word as the place of truth and comfort. His most consistent word of advice for me was about Job. As a girl, I struggled with emotional moments of crisis and he would always turn me to the book of Job and remind me to look at what was true above what I felt. Just because Job didn’t feel like God was there, doesn’t mean He wasn’t. My Dad still greets me with a hug and a kiss every time I see him, though sometimes my baby girl gets the first one. And he still has a listening ear for me when I need advice.
The one thing that has meant the most to me is that he tells me how proud he is of me. He praises my godly choices and desire to continue on that path. It means everything to me, that my Dad is still pleased with me as I make decisions with my husband and regarding my family that I don’t discuss with him. I miss that season of closeness but I treasure our adult friendship and will never take for granted our close father-daughter relationship. Every girl needs a father like mine to point her to our Heavenly Father.
I wish I would've had the words to send in for my husband. But this being only the second year of him being a daddy to my sweet baby girl, I wasn't sure how to say how I feel. J is a wonderful dad! I know she adores him. I love seeing that beautiful relationship develop. I know someday I'll understand how to tell my husband what a wonderful father he is to our family in the same way it's so easy to tell my Dad. I look forward to a lifetime of sweet moments!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting!! I love hearing from you!